Monday, August 24, 2026
I asked ChatGPT: Briefly, in less than 200 words:
"If when on the margin, there where it most counts, the risk weighted bank capital requirements still favor “safe” public debt and residential mortgages over loans to farmers, small businesses and entrepreneurs, how would you deem the outlook for an economy?"
ChatGPT answered:
If, at the margin where credit allocation matters most, risk-weighted capital requirements continue to favor “safe” public debt and residential mortgages over lending to farmers, small businesses and entrepreneurs, I would regard the economy’s long-term outlook as structurally weaker than it need be.
The problem is not necessarily that those favored assets are bad. It is that regulation can make them relatively cheaper for banks to hold, while making productive but less standardized private-sector lending relatively more expensive in terms of required capital.
Over time, that can mean:
less financing for new businesses and productive investment;
weaker entrepreneurship and innovation;
slower productivity and wage growth;
greater dependence on government borrowing and rising property values;
and potentially more wealth inequality.
In other words, the system may become very good at refinancing the safer present, while becoming less capable of financing the riskier future.
That is precisely why I think the marginal effect of capital regulation deserves more attention than simply asking whether banks, in aggregate, are adequately capitalized. A well-capitalized banking system can nevertheless be poorly directed.
I asked Grok: Briefly, in less than 200 words:
"If when on the margin, there where it most counts, the risk weighted bank capital requirements still favor “safe” public debt and residential mortgages over loans to farmers, small businesses and entrepreneurs, how would you deem the outlook for an economy?"
Grok answered:
"Poor to mediocre at best—structurally biased toward stagnation rather than dynamism.
Risk-weighted capital rules that treat sovereign debt and residential mortgages as markedly “safer” than loans to farmers, SMEs, and entrepreneurs systematically tilt bank credit toward the former.
On the margin this crowds out productive private investment, raises the relative cost of capital for the real engines of employment and innovation, inflates housing and public-debt stocks, and weakens productivity growth. The result is an economy more prone to fiscal dominance, asset-price cycles, and lower long-run potential output."
I said: Thanks!
It replied: You're welcome!
Note: The answers are copied exactly from those given to me by ChatGPT and Grok
Special note: ChatGPT replied: “The system may become very good at refinancing the safer present, while becoming less capable of financing the riskier future.” That is the exact wording I’ve used many times over the last decades. Am I having an intellectually incestual relation with AI?
